Albert S. Osborn

click here to listen to me read aloud

Albert Sherman Osborn was the first President of the American Society of Questioned Document Examiners.

Born in 1858 on a farm near Grass Lake, Mr Osborn was the second of six children.  In Grass Lake, he did the usual farm labour and attended the nearby country school.  Farm life didn’t appeal to him so he attended the State College.

In the summer of 1882, he received a letter from the Rochester Business Institute, offering him a position as a teacher of penmanship.  It was from this early beginning as a teacher of handwriting that Mr. Osborn extended his interests to the identification of handwriting, typewriting, paper and ink.

By 1920, his business had grown so big that he moved from Rochester to New York City where he opened an office and began devoting his entire time to questioned document work.

In 1942, the American Society of Questioned Document Examiners was found with Mr. Osborn as its first president, a position he held for four years.

Mr Osborn sadly died in 1946. His books Questioned DocumentsThe Problem of ProofThe Mind of the Juror and Questioned Document Problems display how to identify styles of handwriting and typescript with inks and writing instruments.

Bibliography:

http://www.asqde.org/about/presidents/osborn_as.html

http://www.123helpme.com/preview.asp?id=110437

Click here to hear me read:

Words that need clarification:

Penmanship: the art or skill of writing by hand

Devoting: give all or most of one’s time or resources to (a person or activity)

This entry was posted in Integrated by zoe2012. Bookmark the permalink.

About zoe2012

Hi my name is Zoe and I am in Year 5. In my family is Mum, Dad, my sister Sammi and me. I have a gorgeous cat called Ghostie. She is about 2 years old and I really love her. My favourite sport is swimming. Some of my friends are Hannah, Bill, Jessie, Sozoe and Paris.